This new otu inyomdi was basically spouses of the town
- They settled disputes, intra lineage disputes and problems ranging from natal towns and you will towns during the which they was indeed hitched.
- They performed rites, rituals, and you will sacrifices to the neighborhood, like the latest absolution rites for brand new brides. On the day in question, the new bride-to-feel create admit all the the girl completely wrong doings for the g4 tagged otu umuada who does following purify her.
- This new otu umuada also performed filtering rituals having origin domiciles and you can other areas which were felt polluted, therefore the gods or goddesses won’t leash out its wrath towards the anybody, but rather, let them have health, bounty and kids.
- The brand new otu umuada heard confessions out of adulterous wives and did purification rituals to them.
The leader, anasi, are many senior girlfriend in the neighborhood. She is the new spouse who had been married longest in the neighborhood. New anasi is the newest typical through which the women you certainly will voice the concerns and you can include its passions since the spouses, parents, growers, and people.
- It aided origin spouses in a situation out-of worry and disease.
- They heard and you will noticable punishments inside the cases associated with husbands exactly who abused the wives.
- They made certain your community stream and marketplace try clean.
- It generated conclusion involving the planting and you may harvesting regarding crops.
- It got care of pet which had lost its harvest.
Periodically on the longevity of the community, the otu umuada and otu inyomdi emerged along with her while the ladies installation to go over issues that influenced him or her due to the fact women in the brand new society.
Decades grades was sets of girls away from exact same age, just who arrived along with her so you’re able to bring bonuses on the ambition and time and effort. It did spiritual, personal and political functions inside the community; considering knowledge to possess young adults in-group lifestyle; and you can considering channels to possess socialization and you can company which have been very beneficial and you will integrative situations for the neighborhood. In the Igboland, single descent girl shaped on their own towards the certain ogbo connections. Included in this is actually the new okpo ntu and their commitments included cleaning and you will keeping the fresh community latrines and you can garbage places; creating public labor attributes including family strengthening and you will related employment; and you may, throwing themselves on dance groups, hence offered forums where ladies you may make solid and long-lasting relationship along with other females from the classification.
She ensured market taboos have been seen, and you can detained wrongdoers and you can produced her or him until the omu court
Igbo women you may boost their social status by taking titles. This type of titles incorporated the newest ikenga, inachi and you can inwene. Called girls have been accorded an abundance of regard and people who exhibited frontrunners prospective you will will keep political place of work.
In Igboland condition try achieved, maybe not ascribed and you can good female’s updates is dependent on her own triumph, maybe not the ones from this lady spouse
The omu and her pantry out of named people councilors, ilogu, was basically faced with keep up with the ladies part of the society. The market lay is this new Igbo woman’s website name. It had been kept the four weeks. The fresh omu and her case oversaw the marketplace and you will laid out the rules. The newest omu and her pantry repaired the values of sector merchandise and you will laid out markets bans. They acted as the a court throughout the judging out-of circumstances and persecuting of incorrect doers. The new omu designated a police woman called the awo. The brand new awo used the latest fixed rate rules regarding segments. Market taboos incorporated, zero attacking in the market, palm build cannot to be released inside the bunches, but split first; and you will finally, peppers can be boiled very first just before being sold.
Regarding the precolonial day and age, West African people gathered with her to help you vocalize their feelings in the affairs one influenced her or him. These appointment factor and supported because assistance channels that ladies you will depend upon to help you specific punishment regarding offensive boys.